Being My Own Hair Inspiration

March 20, 2014

This winter in NYC has been a difficult one. Depression flare-ups. Interviews for jobs I didn’t get. Unsuccessful attempts to be creative in my spare time. I have tons of ill will towards December and January of this year, but on February 1st, the light finally showed itself. I was offered and accepted a job working for a brand new online lifestyle mag.

My coworkers are beautiful, ambitious women who are supportive of me wanting to steer the content into a more inclusive direction, and I can already feel friendships forming. Since the office environment is pretty casual, I don’t feel pressured to look a certain way, and I’m excited to take out my short, Marley braids this weekend and try a new style.

After trolling Pinterest and Instagram for hair inspiration, I started to look through my old Photobooth pictures, and I’m surprised at how often I’ve changed my look!



As I’ve become more confident in myself as a woman, particularly a woman with "different" hair, I’ve embraced new styles that I wouldn’t have worn in high school or even college.

 

In just one year I've rocked my fro, straightened it with a hot comb (ahh, never again!) and wore a wrap-around braid, tried cornrows, a braided bob, long Marley twists, and micros. The biggest surprise is that I've felt confident and beautiful with every style.

Friday night I have a date with Neil deGrasse Tyson's Cosmos, a healthy goblet of wine, and two hours of taking out my braids.

So - what should I go for next? Clearly I'm down to try anything! ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© WITHIN COLOR All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk